Gerber Foods banana processing plant in Costa Rica struggled to keep their water source free of heavy metals and other contaminants, so we were called in to assist them and to design and install a state-of-the-art water filtration system...
Process water for baby food
Ferric, Manganese and
65 m3/ Hr
3 private deep wells
- The plant’s well water contained Ferric, Manganese and Hydrogen Sulfide.
- Water color and turbidity above the maximum allowable level.
- Un-controlled chlorine levels
- High delta pressure on the media filters was reducing the flow rate.
- Water polluted with germs and fecal coliforms.
- Microbiological contamination, especially
by sulfate reducing bacteria
The following processes were carried out:
- Pre filtration: 100 micron automatic back wash Arkal disc filtration system.
- Oxidation of Fe, Mn and H2S: Lamela-Oxidation Process.
- Media Filtration: Catalytic Media Filters – implementing AFM®.
Colony Forming Units (CFU's)
Coliform Forming Units (CFU/100 ml)